Monday, January 9, 2012

What's a Few Years Between Friends?

Way back in high school, I heard of someone taking all of their high school t-shirts (from band, plays, etc.) and having it made into a quilt.  I thought that was the coolest idea ever, and even though I didn't know how to make a quilt back then, I immediately resolved that I would do the same.

15 years later...

I have these two plastic storage dressers.  I bought these dressers in college, and decided to put all my high school t-shirts and various musical t-shirts in them.  That way, when I decided I finally had the time, I'd make that quilt.  Well, these dressers became the bane of my existence.


They were with me for a total of 3 apartments and the stint living with my parents.  I drew the line at moving them to California, when I lived there.  At some point, I did actually start the quilt.  I bought fabric and drew lines where I wanted the t-shirts cut.  (My present crafter me wants to smack past crafter me.  I must have been very impatient).  I even cut out a few t-shirts.  But then I stopped.  And even more years passed.

Until tonight.  I have a number of unfinished projects that I've decided I have to finish.  I swear, it's like I have crafting ADD sometimes.  But this quilt has been the biggest weight dragging my crafting spirit down for the longest time and I'm ready to kick it to the curb!

Here's where I'm at.  All the shirts have been cut into squares.  I highly doubt that they are all the same size.  So tomorrow I'm going to iron all of the shirts.  (Cause past crafter me was apparently too good to iron them before I started marking and cutting them...)  Then I'm going to take my tape measure and start measuring.  Get them to all the same size.  Then I can start figuring out the boarder fabric.  Wonder where my rotary cutter is?

And better than all of this?  Those plastic dressers are empty!  They're getting donated to good will tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment